NOTICE: This site has gone though an upgrade and as part of the update your password will not work. You will need to use the "I forgot my password" option to have an email sent with recovery instructions. Once this has been completed and your password is updated you will be able to login. We apologize for the inconvenience however it was necessary to keep code up to date and your account safe.

-Admin

BAM! FAQ

Your ideas and comments
Post Reply
User avatar
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 pm

BAM! FAQ

Post by BASHMAN »

What are the submission guidelines for BAM? What is accepted, and what isn't?

For an article or adventure- you should be under 5 pages in MS word, I'll take care of editing, layout, etc.

For character archetypes, those clealy won't take up as much room.

For Artwork- I am *always* wanting original artwork- so if you have some, don't be shy!

How does someone submit potential material for an upcoming BAM issue?

Two ways: PM me here on these boards, or email me your submission as an attached word document. That email address is mastermind at bashrpg dot com.

How far in advance does material need to be submitted in order for it to be considered for the next issue of BAM?

Well, I actually put out the issues about as fast as I have material to publish. If I got enough to make it monthly, I would!

So if submissions become common enough that we have a backlog, things will change, but for right now, once I have enough submissions, it takes me about a week to make the issue.
User avatar
CauldronOfEvil
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Good Monthly Articles?

Post by CauldronOfEvil »

I've always felt guilty that I've not contributed to BAM enough, but the truth is as far as my supergames go I steal far more than I ever come up with origonal ideas.

But it sure seems lame that I couldn't come up with *something* every month!

So what kind of regular features would you like to see in your 'dream' issues of BAM?
User avatar
Lindharin
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: New York

Re: Good Monthly Articles?

Post by Lindharin »

CauldronOfEvil wrote:So what kind of regular features would you like to see in your 'dream' issues of BAM?
You know, I feel like I should be able to answer this question easily, but I'm finding it really hard. Obvious choices are things like a column for new powers, skills, advantages and disadvantages. But on the other hand, having them spread across a collection of magazine articles makes it a little tougher: "I know I saw something about X, but where was it..." Having those types of rules additions collected in a book like Awesome Powers might be better.

How about a column on new uses/interpretations on existing powers? Bash is a lot more flexible than a strict first-reading might imply. For example, see the posts about how things like the Armor power (or Boost Brawn for Soak Only) can be used to represent fast passive regeneration, or any other form of damage mitigation, and not just the obvious bullets bouncing off an invulnerable chest. What other concepts, particularly ones that aren't immediately obvious, can you fulfill with a given power?

There are also some catch-all elements in the game, like Mastery, or Extra Effect, or Susceptible, that all allow (even encourage) new effects as long as the player and narrator agree. Maybe explore some of the possibilities of those. For example, I've used Susceptible to Social Situations (imposing a -3 dice penalty on Mind checks when socializing) for the socially awkward genius, but that might not be the first thing a lot of people think of when they read the Susceptible disadvantages for the first time. What other ways can existing rules elements be used to "fill out" the list of disadvantages, just by tweaking them or thinking of them in a different light.

I'll think about it some more, see if anything else comes to mind.
User avatar
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: Trenton, Ont. (Canada)

Re: Good Monthly Articles?

Post by MrJupiter »

Lindharin wrote:…How about a column on new uses/interpretations on existing powers? Bash is a lot more flexible than a strict first-reading might imply. For example, see the posts about how things like the Armor power (or Boost Brawn for Soak Only) can be used to represent fast passive regeneration, or any other form of damage mitigation, and not just the obvious bullets bouncing off an invulnerable chest. What other concepts, particularly ones that aren't immediately obvious, can you fulfill with a given power?

There are also some catch-all elements in the game, like Mastery, or Extra Effect, or Susceptible, that all allow (even encourage) new effects as long as the player and narrator agree. Maybe explore some of the possibilities of those. For example, I've used Susceptible to Social Situations (imposing a -3 dice penalty on Mind checks when socializing) for the socially awkward genius, but that might not be the first thing a lot of people think of when they read the Susceptible disadvantages for the first time. What other ways can existing rules elements be used to "fill out" the list of disadvantages, just by tweaking them or thinking of them in a different light…
This is a really good idea. I’m always being amazed at some of the great ideas for powers that are extrapolated from a power that I had thought of as rather basic (i.e. using Armor to represent instant healing).
User avatar
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: Trenton, Ont. (Canada)

Post by MrJupiter »

Other ideas for regular BAM features could be:

Archetype Emergence – take one archetype from BASH:UE and present 2 or 3 unique characters based upon it. To qualify for Archetype Emergence the finished character must use enough of the material from the baseline presentation in the rulebook to be wholly recognizable as that archetype (unusual interpretations are both allowed and encouraged). Additionally, the background should be generic enough for the reader that it can be easily inserted into a game as either a character or npc (a great way for the narrator to fill out a supers setting or hand out a bunch of ready to run characters to players). At the very least, this feature will boost the reader’s imagination.

In the News – a feature with a mock-up of a news story or two with seeds for potential adventures. “In the city tonight, police are investigating the mysterious disappearance of…”. Again, keeping these free of specific setting details makes this feature easily adapted to anyone’s game.

Supporting Cast Spotlight – this feature offers a narrator 3-5 handy npcs to fill out such roles as: a player character’s contact, a police commissioner, sleezy prosecuting lawyer, two-bit thug, emergency medical responder, low-life informant, etc. In a snap the narrator will have needed stats, a paragraph of description, and a name!

And of course…
Villain of the Week (or Issue) – this will present just a typical super-powered bad guy (from any power scale) that is suitable for a narrator to use as a solo villain (spontaneously pulled into service to liven up a dull gaming moment), or placed into the membership of a team of super-nastiness.
User avatar
CauldronOfEvil
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Good Monthly Articles?

Post by CauldronOfEvil »

MrJupiter wrote:
Lindharin wrote:…How about a column on new uses/interpretations on existing powers?
I'll think about it some more, see if anything else comes to mind.
I suppose so. It’s just that I already feel like I do this all the time when I do BASH! conversions from other games (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bas ... r%20Games/). The rare times I find a new ability I usually have to figure out how to make it work in BASH!

Also, the place I see this the most often is in Champions and it really almost always comes down to a Limitation that says “Only in this circumstance”.

So it seems like something that would get old pretty quickly!

I’d love to hear some of your other ideas though!
User avatar
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Post by BASHMAN »

Hey, I'm all in favor of any of these! If you want to see something in BAM!, the best way to ensure it gets there is write it and submit it! PS, BAM! #5 should be out pretty soon, including a nice preview of Legends of Steel.
Chris Rutkowsky
[url=http://www.bashrpg.com]Basic Action Games[/url]
Now on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Basic-Action-Games/89564587837?ref=ts]Facebook![/url]
Post Reply