NOTICE: This site has gone though an upgrade and as part of the update your password will not work. You will need to use the "I forgot my password" option to have an email sent with recovery instructions. Once this has been completed and your password is updated you will be able to login. We apologize for the inconvenience however it was necessary to keep code up to date and your account safe.

-Admin

STOP THE PRESSES! AWESOME POWERS KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

Talk about anything, but keep it civil
kevperrine
Paragon
Paragon

Post by kevperrine »

BASHMAN wrote: Regarding full color interiors, I could see that being a stretch goal, however, we'd have to hit a really high number for that to be at all economical for a print run. BASH! UE still has not turned a profit on its full-color second printing for Basic Action Games.

Sounds like B.A.G. and BASH! UE needs a Marketing & Art Director for project planning (to save costs) and business planning (to hit projected goals, with advertising, etc...)

LOL
I'm not being harsh, I'm just noting this 'cause I HAPPY to have a GraphicDesign BFA, a Marketing Masters, and have worked full time for game companies in the past.
I've always hoped to return and be the director full time for a game/project I love.
AND...
I happen to be unemployed right now. hehe...

Just teasing though, I know that small business and smaller/indie games almost need to be a one-person operation. And that's usually the creator.

I'm just sayin' that I'd love to have a product to take and run with like that. And while I know I could write and design for BASH or other games in my spare time, it's hard to manage that when you need to pay rent and find a job that pays regularly and not after the fact, like Freelancing does.

Still... I'm always OPEN for hire and would love to make BASH! UE the #1 supers game on the market. It has that potential for sure!!
But unfortunately M&M and Champions (and V&V to a smaller degree) have the funding of a bigger company.
And games like ICONS and Truth & Justice have more active product published books that generate the awareness.

Although, I also happen to specialize in "guerrilla marketing" for lower cost methods!

Hence, why I'd love to help make it happen. I just can't work for free and meet the necessary deadlines for the love of the product. Which stinks, but it's a reality.
Plumbers and Mechanics and Doctors don't work on freelance promises of payment after the fact.... But Designers, writers and the indie game market sometimes expect that.

NOT the case here specifically.
Just sayin' :(
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by MrJupiter »

BASHMAN wrote:MrJupiter, your concerns are well warranted and things that I have already considered. Part of the reason the $35 special was limited to 50 slots was that was essentially including shipping in US orders, and subsidizing shipping to international orders. If all the $35 slots get taken up, I could see expanding options for people to buy the hardcopy beyond the first 50, but shipping costs would have to be a factor in that price.
Very glad to hear it!
BASHMAN wrote:Regarding full color interiors, I could see that being a stretch goal, however, we'd have to hit a really high number for that to be at all economical for a print run. BASH! UE still has not turned a profit on its full-color second printing for Basic Action Games.
I’m definitely in for this one. I love the look of BASH’s colour interiors and would greatly appreciate seeing the same treatment with Awesome Powers. In doing research for my own purposes, I remember noting the huge price jump for printing in colour. It’s disheartening.
BASHMAN wrote:Additional stretch goals will be things that are within the realm of affordability; like a specially commissioned cover for the compilation.
This one sounds like a great idea!

Has anyone got any great ideas for pledges that are independent of receiving more pdf or print copies of the books? I already have two of those coming and plan on giving one set to a friend as a gift. I’d like to pledge more to help boost the funding further but in a way that is different and worthwhile – sort of an add-on pledge!

P.S. BASHMAN, I’m sorry to hear that you have not yet sold enough of the 2nd BASH print run to make a profit. I had bought a second copy of it from a favorite, somewhat-local game store a couple of months back and donated my other to my friend Jim. I guess that didn’t help you out enough. BASH is my favorite rpg by a huge margin and I wish I could do more on that front!
Baelor
Hero
Hero

Post by Baelor »

Amen, MrJupiter.

BASH is my goto for running any number of games. I have tooled it and SF for a Mech rpg; BASH for 2 current supers campaigns as well as about 6 other mini-campaigns that have finished. In addition, my group is currently playing a fairly high-powered fantasy game using BASH as the basis.

I love that I have gotten familiar enough with the system that I can write things up and stat them out easily and quickly. And the rules are easily tweaked to do a bunch of different things with it.

Using BASH SF I have planned out campaigns for a Terra Nova game [based on the TV show], as well as a modern game set during an alien invasion and global catastrophe centred around 2012 and a ghost planet from ancient Sumerian legend.

I have kitbashed the system [pardon the pun] for different effects, like rules for close combat and engagement.

I can't say how much I like BASH, except I guess I just did. I wold love to support BASH further and am willing to offer up time and energy if there is a way.
urbwar
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by urbwar »

BASHMAN wrote:.

Regarding full color interiors, I could see that being a stretch goal, however, we'd have to hit a really high number for that to be at all economical for a print run. BASH! UE still has not turned a profit on its full-color second printing for Basic Action Games.
It's not going to be full color? That's a major letdown for me. I'd rather have paid more up front for a color version than a B&W version. I realize your concern due to the core rules, but honestly, you should have considered the costs of full color into the KS from the start. Isn't that kind of what using KS is for? To cover costs for stuff like that?

All the other supers projects I've pledged on were color, so I'm kind of surprised you didn't do color on this.
Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Machete dont text
urbwar
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by urbwar »

You could always do a color version PoD and offer people the choice to either get a B&W version, or a discount coupon equal to the cost of a B&W version to get a color PoD from OBS down the road.

Regardless, I'd rather pledge higher for a cover version than get B&W. I pledge for B&W, but I'd give more to get a color version. When Spectrum games did their Gallery of evil ks, I pledged $85 for the book and add ons in print format. I have no problem paying 50 bucks or more if the book was going to be in color

Machete dont text
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!

Post by BASHMAN »

urbwar wrote:You could always do a color version PoD and offer people the choice to either get a B&W version, or a discount coupon equal to the cost of a B&W version to get a color PoD from OBS down the road.

Regardless, I'd rather pledge higher for a cover version than get B&W. I pledge for B&W, but I'd give more to get a color version. When Spectrum games did their Gallery of evil ks, I pledged $85 for the book and add ons in print format. I have no problem paying 50 bucks or more if the book was going to be in color
That is the plan, (limited POD for color as a stretch goal) but the general print run, ought to be B&W because this book will be the largest thing Basic Action Games has ever released, probably at least 250 pages. At that kind of page count, color gets really expensive. To fund a full color print run, we'd have to take in a lot more money to make it at all feasible.

I still need to see cost projections to price a color POD as an option. You wouldn't need a "coupon" though if we do a color POD. During the kickstarter, if enough funds are raised, I was going to unlock this as an option that you could pledge to. People are allowed to change their pledges-- so you could upgrade from the $35 to the color version (whatever the price is).
Chris Rutkowsky
[url=http://www.bashrpg.com]Basic Action Games[/url]
Now on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Basic-Action-Games/89564587837?ref=ts]Facebook![/url]
urbwar
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by urbwar »

That sounds good to me!

Machete dont text
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by MrJupiter »

urbwar wrote:That sounds good to me!
I agree. For me the supers genre really needs to be in colour. Some sub-genres are okay in b/w but with four-colour, comic heroes - - it just doesn't feel right unless they are fully hued.

I don't mind paying extra for that!
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!

Post by BASHMAN »

Update: 2 more backer rewards added: $10 lets you add a new power to the set. $100 gets your character on the cover, and as a sample character.

We're within $100 of the BASH! Awesome Powers Kickstarter adding a lot of character content. And keep your eyes on the $3,000 prize: because we expand the set to 17 Volumes (40 Power Suites) at that level.
Chris Rutkowsky
Now on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Basic-Action-Games/89564587837?ref=ts]Facebook![/url]
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by MrJupiter »

MrJupiter wrote:I agree. For me the supers genre really needs to be in colour. Some sub-genres are okay in b/w but with four-colour, comic heroes - - it just doesn't feel right unless they are fully hued.

I don't mind paying extra for that!
Whoa! Just checked out LULU to gauge the POD print cost on colour book and discoved that a 250 page book is nearly five times more expensive to print than the black and white! While I realize that they might not be the cheapest POD out there, it's still sobering factor to consider...
Last edited by MrJupiter on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by MrJupiter »

Just posted a question in the Updates section under Update #4. I also made a pledge suggestion there in case the answer to my question was a "no".

We're only $2 away from the Print run with sample characters included!
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

Post by MrJupiter »

Whoo-hoo! Sample characters are now funded :!:

:arrow: I gotta sit down and relax...
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero

Post by bigsteveuk »

Hi Bashman,

I was about to pledge on the kick-starter, but have 1 issue.

I am looking at the $35 one, which will include a printed compendium if you do one. But it ships US only, is there any way I could get this in the UK?

Cheers,

Steve
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero

Post by bigsteveuk »

Hi Bashman,

Forget the question just noticed the FAQ.

Cheers you have my pledge.

Steve
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!

Post by BASHMAN »

By the by, anybody in need of the Full Color Second Printing of BASH! Ultimate Edition, it has been added to this Kickstarter as a reward. You can get it (and a PDF) for $30 (shipping included in US and UK orders for this book) or you can get it "bundled" with the Awesome Powers book (but you'll get your BASH! book first, since that one is finished and ready to ship).

And I noticed, we are climbing closer and closer to that magnificent $3000 goal which lets us REALLY improve the whole package for everyone.
Chris Rutkowsky