Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
Server Date/Time
23 October 2017 06:22:30 UTC (GMT +0)

BASH! - Basic Action Superheroes: Forums

BASH - Basic Action Super Heroes :: View topic - Super climbing.

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super climbing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BASH - Basic Action Super Heroes Forum Index -> The Laboratory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xBlackWolfx
Mystery Man
Mystery Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Super climbing. Reply with quote

I kinda suspect that a power like this would be available in one of the awesome powers books, but the one relating to 'inner strength and intense training' hasn't come out yet.

The book specifically says that your character can climb... not very fast at all. You can only climb a number of squares equal to your brawn. And there's no real way to alter this besides the 'clinging' power which isn't quite what I envision. I more imagine a character that can climb abnormally quickly, like a monkey, but they don't have the power to stick to a perfectly flat surface. They can just climb a lot faster.

My idea, is imply a new intense training power, which for now I'm just calling 'super climbing'. Essentially, if you have this power, you can climb at the same rate you can walk or run, instead of the lousy rate suggested in the book.

I also thought about just adding this to the package on 'fleet of foot', but then I thought that might make it op. And besides, fleet of foot seems to be more about being able to run and jump better than average. And obviously, being a good runner does NOT make you a good climber.

And yeah, maybe this could go under the 'movement' powers like super swimming does, but I imagine this to be something a martial-arts inspired character would have. And besides, I don't see it as unreasonable that a person couldn't learn to do this, considering the things that other 'intense training' characters in the comics can do.

What do you think? Is this balanced or is it even necessary? I guess you could also simulate this with the 'swinging' power, with the 'brachiating' limitation suggested in the book.

Oh, as for how much this would be worth? I would say 1 point. I don't really think it would be all that useful anyway. And besides the 'brachiating' power I just mentioned would be worth 1 point too. So why not?
Solarblast
Hero
Hero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use clinging just with the limitation that the clinging couldn't adhere to sheer surfaces.
xBlackWolfx
Mystery Man
Mystery Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't feel quite right to me. I kinda like to think that a character like this could say climb a ladder faster than a person with actual clinging. And besides, clinging is a 1 point power, meaning that another power of theirs would have to share this unique limitation, which I don't think would really work.

Might be better to just make it a unique one-point enhancement for fleet of foot. Of you can just say that if your character passes an athletics/climb check by 20, they manage to climb abnormally fast or something like that.
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might just work as a 1pt power that is an Intense Training alternative to Clinging. It still comes out to 1pt because the "Cannot be used on Sheer Surfaces" limit is countered by the "Esoteric Training" Enhancement that would need to be added.

FYI this is something that probably will be in Volume 8.
Solarblast
Hero
Hero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a boost to agility but only for climbing.
xBlackWolfx
Mystery Man
Mystery Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solarblast wrote:
Maybe a boost to agility but only for climbing.

Climbing speed is determined by your brawn, not agility. Look on page 18.

And yes, I guess the boost power could also be used to do this. And it would offer more control over your actual climbing speed than simply modifying the clinging power. But is that really necessary? I'd say BASHMAN's suggestion is the best. And besides, he's the one developing the game, so this makes it kind of an official ruling, would it not?

And yeah, I forgot about the 'esotetic training' enhancement. Actually, I though it would be in awesome powers 8, but looking at the books apparently its actually in the AP 1. I really need to buy those books. The one I'm really wanting to be honest though is the magic one, I guess the primary reason I haven't picked them up is because the ones I really want haven't been released yet. But I could make use of the first one, and the psionic one I was also looking forward to too. Oh well, next pay day perhaps.
MrJupiter
Cosmic Hero
Cosmic Hero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of a person with the Speed Climbing super skill...

https://www.facebook.com/950010968358055/videos/1052600978099053/?fref=nf

I can definitely see why Brawn would be an important Stat for this kind of feat as it would require a lot of strength and endurance. HIs Athletics/Climbing must be level 5!
BASHMAN
All-Father of Bash!
All-Father of Bash!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hint, Volume 8 has a power called "Parkour Master".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BASH - Basic Action Super Heroes Forum Index -> The Laboratory All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: