Welcome to BASH! - Basic Action Superheroes
Honor + Intrigue!!  Cinematic Swashbuckling Rolepaying Game
  Login or Register
::  Home  ::  Your Account  ::  Forums  ::
   
Menu
 
Site Information
Your IP: 34.239.160.113

Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
Server Date/Time
13 October 2019 21:25:24 PDT (GMT -7)
 
BASH! - Basic Action Superheroes: Forums

BASH - Basic Action Super Heroes :: View topic - Babbington-Smythe and the Jade Dragon

 
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Babbington-Smythe and the Jade Dragon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BASH - Basic Action Super Heroes Forum Index -> Play-by-Post
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Babbington-Smythe and the Jade Dragon Reply with quote

Hyde Park, London, 1814

As you meander through Hyde Park, enjoying the warm sun on your back and the attractive girl on your arm (well she should be for the price she charges!!). You think back and remember your life before the Pandora Club, you yearned for adventure and danger, but your time with the club has made you value these lulls before the inevitable storms. You still have chills from your recent venture which involved sending the diabolical Delancy back to whatever pit of brimstone he/it had crawled from. Your time with the club had certainly raised as many questions as it had answered. Though on a positive note you had formed a strong bond with your fellow Pandorians, Alverton a master swordsman with a distinctive Roman flair, Ms Stevens highwayman, thief, blaggard and all round good soul, though the possession by Delancy had clearly left a trace of darkness about her and Tavistock, an annoyingly handsome, dashing, heroic sort with the strength of a bull.

You are awoken from your daydreaming by a commotion and cries of “get away from me you ruffian”, “drunk at this time of day, what a disgrace”.

As you turn you see a man clearly unsteady on his feet barge past several of your fellow strollers.

OCC:
Dice Roll - Awareness:
Original Roll String: 1,0,0   =   Mult: 1,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 5 + 6 = 11 + 0 = 11    Fixed
Final Result: ( 1 * 11 ) + 0 = 11


At first glance you to thought it was some poor soul returning from a rather good night, till you spotted that he was nursing his side, were a patch of red was slowly growing. On instinct you scan the onlookers and spot two men closing in on their would be prey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gadgetman
Supporting Character
Supporting Character


Joined: Oct 29, 2013
Posts: 8


PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always ready for an adventure, I turn to the charming young lady at my side kissing her hand and thanking her for company, with a wink and a 'I will see you a little later' I make my way towards the 'gentlemen' in need of my aid.
As I nonchalantly walk in his direction I surreptitiously ready my X-bow with a tangle bolt and another one of steel, I keep my weapon hidden with the folds of my coat, but not so deep as to entangle it.
Deciding to put the two ruffians on the back foot by drawing attention to them by way of myself (and through me the passersby) I stride towards the bleeding gentlemen launching into character.
"Charles old horse how the devil are you my good man, it's been an age now hasn't it?!" With this said I stride up to him leaning in close I whisper whilst looking meaningfully behind him "I am here to help you old boy, play along if you want to live" Then out loud I say "I say old boy you really haven't changed a bit, been hitting the Port rather hard I'll wager"
If he plays along I help support him with my left arm keeping my x-bow as always at the ready. Looking about me I seek out a cab for hire and hailing it make my way towards it with my 'new friend' in tow.
Should the ruffians decide that this is the time to make their play and commit themselves to the attack, I turn putting myself between the injured man and them. Swiftly bringing up the x bow I fire the entangling bolt in the hope of catching them together before they can try to outflank us.
Should this work a swift kick to their noggins and into the cab posthaste.
If it comes down to it though I shall not hesitate to put a bolt through the thigh of the one who might escape my entangle bolt. If for any reason my aim might be off and it comes to hand to hand I will put my naval close quarters combat training to the test, not being above a good old kick to the family jewels or a bone crunching headbutt to the nose.
If I should manage to make it to the cab with the wounded man I order the cab driver to take us to a doctors double quick time administering first as we go. As we travel I will of course try to gain some insight as to why these men would attack my new friend in broad daylight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you clear the distance and see past the shadow caused by his hat you realise that though dressed like a westerner the man is clearly oriental in decent, as are the two ruffians. Grabbing the man you steer him in the direction of the cabs, noting his obvious relief. Your ruse causes the men to pause, though their indecision is brief and they are soon in hot pursuit.

Realising you will not reach the cab in time you initiate the clockwork in your x-bow. Instantly the retractable limbs spring into place and the dual bolts load into position. Your foes, not realising the threat until after the first bolt is in the air.

OCC:
Dice Roll - Entangle Bolt:
Original Roll String: 3,0,2   =   Mult: 3,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 2   
Dice Roll: 3 + 4 = 7 + 0 = 7    Fixed
Final Result: ( 3 * 7 ) + 2 = 23


Dice Roll - Priority Smythe:
Original Roll String: 3,0,2   =   Mult: 3,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 2   
Dice Roll: 1 + 5 = 6 + 0 = 6    Fixed
Final Result: ( 3 * 6 ) + 2 = 20


Dice Roll - Priority Ruffians:
Original Roll String: 3,0,2   =   Mult: 3,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 2   
Dice Roll: 3 + 6 = 9 + 0 = 9    Fixed
Final Result: ( 3 * 9 ) + 2 = 29


Dice Roll - escape:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 5 + 3 = 8 + 0 = 8    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 8 ) + 0 = 16




The man’s pace slows and his breathing becomes more laboured as you near the cab and you have to aid him getting in, his injury obviously taking its toll.

Dice Roll - escape:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 4 + 5 = 9 + 0 = 9    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 9 ) + 0 = 18


You glance over your shoulder as you enter the cab and see the men still struggling to escape, one of them pulls a long blade and starts to cut himself free.

Cries of alarm and commotion follow you as you exit from the park.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gadgetman
Supporting Character
Supporting Character


Joined: Oct 29, 2013
Posts: 8


PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the cab roof with my cane I shout "My good man to a physician posthaste, and don't spare the horses. More speed more coin, now go!" This said I turn my attention to the oriental gentleman, using experience gained in the Navy I try to staunch the flow of blood from his wound. As I do so I question him as to his appearance in the park, partly to keep him focused on talking and not fainting, nd of course to satisfy my own curiosity.

Should we make it to a doctors I tip the cabby generously, adding "not a word where you have taken us my good man". As I say this I allow the hilt of my sword to briefly show itself. Looking about I help my new acquaintance into the doctors, making sure either by force of will or promise of coin we are admitted and seen straight away.

Should the chap pull through I will allow him some rest before questioning him at length. Not being a fool however as soon as he can be moved I take him to a secure location....'The Pandora Club' of course.

OOC: Steve left it there until I get something to go on from my 'new friend'. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Ok guv hold on” shouts the drive as the cab accelerates away.

Dice Roll - Science:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 6 + 3 = 9 + 0 = 9    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 9 ) + 0 = 18


From the pallor of the man and the quantity of blood urgent attention is clearly required, with some compression you manage to staunch the flow to a degree.

The man makes a quick move and you see a glint of steel appear in his hand, instinctively you dart back ready to fend him off. Though the apparent victim of his attack would seem to be his jacket, as he slices away at its interior. A few cuts later and he removes an object which he thrusts desperately into your hand.

“On my honour and that of my family I swore to her that I would get it to you” he says weakly, finally falling back into his seat and into unconsciousness.

As the carriage rocks back and forth, you gaze down at the small ivory scroll case that is wet with the blood of the messenger and taking special note of jade dragon that decorates its exterior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gadgetman
Supporting Character
Supporting Character


Joined: Oct 29, 2013
Posts: 8


PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the sigil engraved on the scroll case I realise that this most import of messages has come from non other than the love of my life...Xia Xu.
Hastily I open the it and scan its contents, knowing that Xia would only contact me like this if the situation was dire. Once I have read the scroll I turn to the messenger, as I try to save his life I question him as to what is happening within the ranks of the Jade Dragons?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missive is full of bad tidings, Xia Xu speaks of how the shadows she once thought protection now threaten to engulf her and how a threat now turns friends into enemies. She ends by asking for your aid. “my love I know nowhere else to turn as I fear the enemy now resides in my camp, if you can find it in your heart please come to Canton and seek Lao Wang Noodle House, the scroll will act as your credentials.”

You know things must be bad if she would seek your aid.

Her agent is breathing but not conscious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gadgetman
Supporting Character
Supporting Character


Joined: Oct 29, 2013
Posts: 8


PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was never a moments hesitation, Xia Xu needs me in Canton that is where I will go. But first to see to her messenger, but where to take him so he can recover whilst I make arrangements?
Of course the Pandora Club, surrounded by gentlemen, and lady, adventurers like myself. I make haste to the the club (administering first aid as we travel) calling for a doctor to see to my new friend. Whilst he is being ministered to I make arrangements for passage to Canton. I make my arrangements discreetly and under an assumed name, using my contacts to find some Captain I know, and perhaps trust to take us there.
As for the rest I pack what items I feel I might need, including my new prototype bolts, namely 'Dust Cloud' to see the invisible and 'Slick' to slip and slide and thereby slow pursuers and attackers alike. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The messenger is taken in by the Pandora club and put under the watchful gaze of Burt one of the clubs trusted coachman and close associate of yours.

You book passage on the brig called the Cossack which leaves within the week. The Cossack is captained by a Master Borland who states the journey will take about 45 days based on 11 knots and the winds being favourable.

The messenger is stabilised but will not gain consciousness within the week.

Do you wish to do anything else before your departure?

Quote:
As for the rest I pack what items I feel I might need, including my new prototype bolts, namely 'Dust Cloud' to see the invisible and 'Slick' to slip and slide and thereby slow pursuers and attackers alike


A very sneaky way to develop your character, but they shouldn’t be a problem; I will just have to stat them up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gadgetman
Supporting Character
Supporting Character


Joined: Oct 29, 2013
Posts: 8


PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me I cannot wait the week or so it will take for the messenger to regain his health, Xia Xu needs me now. To this end knowing what I do about Canton and Jade Dragons I make a few purchases before my departure. The first of which is the clothing of a Jolly Jack Tar, clothing that would not set me apart from the ships crew. Along with this a chest big enough and secure enough for my belongings. If the Jade Dragons are looking for Babbington-Smythe in Canton, all they will see is another western sailor unloading a chest from the ship.
I also make purchase of a cutlass and a brace of flintlock pistols, will a large supply of powder and shot (along with lots of small lead shot), should I not improve with solid shot I shall use my pistols akin to blunderbusses. I have 45 days it would seem to ingratiate myself with the crew and practice both my pistol and cutlass skills.
As a former sailor myself I will show the crew that I am not above getting my hands dirty and mucking in on the voyage, making friends with officers and crew alike.
Before leaving I inform Burt of my intentions and that I will send word to him once I reach Canton. Should he not hear from me in a timely fashion he is to let my friends know that I may be in peril.
This said I set forth upon my quest to find Xia Xu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The journey is fairly uneventful and Borland is a hard but fair Master the crew treating him with both respect and reverence. Though your initial attempts to assist the crew are treated with wariness, your seamanship skills and easy going nature soon win them over, which results in you frequently finding yourself being delegated tasks. Though the work is hard, you are grateful for the distraction and it certainly helps pass the time and hasten the journey.

OCC:
Dice Roll - Awareness:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 5 + 6 = 11 + 0 = 11    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 11 ) + 0 = 22


You’re not sure at what stage of the journey it begins, but you get inkling you are being observed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gadgetman
Supporting Character
Supporting Character


Joined: Oct 29, 2013
Posts: 8


PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is the years at sea, or maybe my time as a member of the Pandora Club, but something alerts me to the fact that I am being watched.
On a ship of this size it is very difficult to have secrets, I however have the luxury of being in a cabin of my own bought and paid for. With the nagging feeling causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up I set about finding an answer to the question of who might be watching me.
To this end I have a word with a few of the 'lads' that I might trust, and who tend to supplement the ships food with fish. I ask that should they catch some squid they let me have them, for a few coins of course.
If and when I have the squid I set about extracting the ink from them, to set a little trap for anyone nosing about my belongings.
To this end I put to good use my experience as a tinkerer and gadget maker to set a little, non lethal, trap to find who might be watching me a little too closely.
I set about booby trapping my travel chest I hide what might be an important document in such a way as to look at it one would have to move several other items out of the chest.
This then will enable me to tell if it is the gathering of information or robbery that my watcher is intent on.
Should my 'watcher' remove the 'document' they will trigger my trap gaining a face full of squid ink for their troubles, thereby alerting me to their identity.
The useful thing about squid ink of course is not only will it take an age to wash or wear off, but by God it will stink!
OOC: left it there to see if I do indeed catch my watcher out. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCC:
Dice Roll - Invent 1:
Original Roll String: 3,0,0   =   Mult: 3,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll:    Doubles!    3 + 3 + 4 = 10 + 0 = 10    Fixed
Final Result: ( 3 * 10 ) + 0 = 30

Dice Roll - Invent 1:
Original Roll String: 3,0,0   =   Mult: 3,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 3 + 5 = 8 + 0 = 8    Fixed
Final Result: ( 3 * 8 ) + 0 = 24


With a few evening of tinkering has the chest booby trapped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the days pass the trap remains inactive and you start considering another of course of action.

Things are bought to a head one night whilst on duty covering for a shipman that is suffering from food poisoning of some description and has left the crew short-handed. You stand towards the prow of the ship looking out across the dark sea, sound of the water lapping against the hull.

OCC:
Dice Roll - Edmund Awareness:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 4 + 1 = 5 + 0 = 5    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 5 ) + 0 = 10

Dice Roll - Stealth:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll:    Doubles!    5 + 5 + 2 = 12 + 0 = 12    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 12 ) + 0 = 24


Dice Roll - Edmund Defense -2 :
Original Roll String: 2,-2,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: -2,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 1 + 4 = 5 + -2 = 3    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 3 ) + 0 = 6

Dice Roll - Throwing Knife Called shot:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll:    Doubles!    5 + 5 + 3 = 13 + 0 = 13    Fixed
Final Result: ( 2 * 13 ) + 0 = 26


Dice Roll - Throwing Knife DMG:
Original Roll String: 1,0,20   =   Mult: 1,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 20   
Dice Roll:    Doubles!    4 + 4 + 6 = 14 + 0 = 14    Fixed
Final Result: ( 1 * 14 ) + 20 = 34


Dice Roll - Edmund Soak:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 1 + 3 = 4 + 0 = 4
Final Result: ( 2 * 4 ) + 0 = 8


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigsteveuk
Superhero
Superhero


Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 365


PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On instinct you spin, to see a hooded figure emerge from the darkness and feel a searing pain as a throwing blade impales your shoulder.

OCC:
Throwing knife 34 DMG – 8 Soak = 26 Hits
Dice Roll - Priority Smythe:
Original Roll String: 3,0,0   =   Mult: 3,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 5 + 2 = 7 + 0 = 7
Final Result: ( 3 * 7 ) + 0 = 21

Dice Roll - Priority Assassin:
Original Roll String: 2,0,0   =   Mult: 2,   Dice Mod: 0,   Result Mod: 0   
Dice Roll: 3 + 1 = 4 + 0 = 4
Final Result: ( 2 * 4 ) + 0 = 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BASH - Basic Action Super Heroes Forum Index -> Play-by-Post All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  
  

Jump to:   

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.


The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2010 by Basic Action Games.




(Original PHP-Nuke Code Copyright © 2004 by Francisco Burzi)
Page Generation: 0.23 Seconds
:: BASH! style by Basic Action Games ::